Types of Passing in Nelle Larsen’s Novel

Passing is the process of assuming an identity other than the one society has assigned and can apply to race, gender or sexuality. In the novel, Clare and Irene engage in passing by presenting themselves as white in order to gain privileges and advantages that would have been denied to them as African-Americans during that time. The motivation behind passing often stems from the desire to avoid racist discrimination and violence, making it an appealing option.

“Irene Redfield wished, for the first time in her life, that she had not been born a Negro. For the first time she suffered and rebelled because she was unable to disregard the burden of race.” (Larsen, page 181)

In my blog post, I would like to explore the various forms of passing depicted in the novel, extending beyond racial passing. Clare and Irene are not only passing as members of a different race but also as straight individuals. Throughout the narrative, Irene makes observations about Clare’s mannerisms, physical appearance, body language, speech, and actions, often expressing conflicting emotions. This complex mix of emotions that Irene experiences towards Clare can be confusing. At times, Irene seems unable to tolerate Clare, feeling annoyed or angry, while other moments reveal her concern and worry for her friend. Despite any negative feelings, it is evident that Irene invests a significant amount of time contemplating Clare and their relationship.

” …For I am lonely, so lonely…cannot help longing to be with you again, as I have never longed for anything before; and I have wanted many things in my life…” (Larsen, page 8)

“At that moment it seemed a dreadful thing to think of never seeing Clare Kendry again. Standing there under the appeal, the caress, of her eyes, Irene had the desire, the hope, that this parting wouldn’t be the last.” (Larsen, page 47)

The last type of passing is death. At the end of the story when Clare’s husband finds out the truth about her race. She is standing by an open window and the next second she falls out the window. Everyone in the room was distraught by the death. Irene is the only way that stays behind as everyone runs downstairs to see Clare, she wonders if she in fact did push Clare. No one thinks that it was Irene’s fault yet the feeling of guilt never goes away.  The ending also seems to fulfill the premonitions that Irene has experienced since Clare first reappeared in her life. As the novel makes clear, Clare constantly took risks in the pursuit of her desires, it is even possible that she deliberately fell out of the window in the hope that her luck would hold a little longer and that she would escape the terrible situation in which she found herself.

Connecting Racial Passing to Today:

Passing can now be seen as controversial in the 21st century because it is seen as rejection of blackness and cultural roots. Racial passing may not be as prevalent as in the past but it continues to be a relevant and thought-provoking topic. It opens discussions about identity, privilege, authenticity, colorism and societal perceptions.

-Colorism: Passing often involves presenting oneself as having lighter skin or conforming to Eurocentric beauty standards. This highlights the ongoing impact of colorism in society and the privileges associated with lighter skin tones.

-Racial Identity and Passing: Irene’s character embodies the struggles and complexities faced by many biracial individuals during the time. By choosing to embrace her Black identity, she highlights the importance of racial pride and community solidarity. Irene is suspicious of Clare’s decision to “pass” as White, as it challenges its authenticity and raises questions about the motivations and consequences of such actions.

The video I have attached is an example of what people go through to this day who pass for an identity that is not theirs:

7 thoughts on “Types of Passing in Nelle Larsen’s Novel

1. Marine Davoian (She/her)

I loved your blogpost and you’re making a wonderful point. There are “various forms of passing” and we do it constantly in a daily life. Passing for happy, passing for paying attention, passing for bigger things like class (i.e. by buying overly expansive things) or behaving in a certain way to fit an excepted/normalized behavior of a group of people. But going back to the racial identities, I want to say that the video was interesting. I understand that the topic is very complex but I could not help myself but to pause and wonder.. why the first mentioned person was saying “I am black” despite having both black and white parents?

My psychology background helps me understand that it is important to approach the topic of racial identity with sensitivity and respect for individual experiences. While someone may have a mixed racial background, they may choose to identify with a specific racial or ethnic group based on their personal understanding and connection to that identity. And it’s worth recognizing that racial identity is not solely determined by ancestry, but is also influenced by cultural, social, and personal factors. People’s experiences and perceptions of race can be shaped by systemic and societal forces, as well as their own self-perception.

While we may not have all the details about why this person so strongly identified as black, understanding and acknowledging the complexities and historical context surrounding racial identity can help us recognize the influence of systemic pressures on individuals and communities overall.

Thank you for a thought-provoking post!

2. Rosa L Melenciano (she/her/hers)

Hi, I really liked your interpretation of the last scene! It makes a lot of sense that Irene does not go downstairs as everyone does because she is trying to process if she was the one that pushed Clare. Irene is a really complex character. I agree that passing is not as prevalent, and it is really interesting how passing has been evolving throughout the years. What started as a way to escape slavery transformed into a way to get white privileges. Nowadays, a lot of BIPOC individuals are perceived as “white-passing” which is really controversial because people would just make assumptions without considering other’s people feelings. However, it is also true that this “white-passing” has allowed many to take advantage of white privileges. This is the case with many celebrities.

3. M. Rose Vollaro (they/them)

Hello, your blog post was really thought provoking for me in so many ways, particularly the idea of passing through death. I agree with both women trying to “pass” as straight when they were both queer women and the movie tried to make that even more clear. However, towards the end when Clare passes over to death, I believe Irene is experiencing shock and survivors guilt and the two women are juxtaposed against each other as different forms of passing racially, sexually, and in life/death.

4. Effie Reaves (She/Her)

I love the way you expanded the realm of passing beyond a racial diameter. The importance of gay men and women passing for straight has been going on for centuries. The sad thing about the situation the light skinned person can possibly passed for white but at the same time won’t be accepted by dark skin African-Americans. A point made in your blog was very honest. It was the need to over compensate by a light skin black person to more black. Or a gay person trying to show that they are not straight by attacking an anti-gay issue. The are so many forms of passing smart kids pretending to be dumb so they won’t get teased for being a nerd. Rich people hiding their wealth so they could feel what it is like to poor. Your blog opens our minds to these avenues

5. Babatounde Anselme MONLE (He/Him/His)

I’m really amazed by this story and the way you interpreted it. This story for me is a real lesson that each of us should understand. Because we can not feel better than at home and we can never make our identity disappear from us, it ends up reappearing. just to say that the real security that claire was looking for in getting married was what her community could offer her. Having realized it belatedly, it finally cost him his life.

6. Michael Y Skrypnyk (He/Him)

I find your interpretation of Passing quite interesting. Notably the part about whether Irene pushed Clare or not. It doesn’t really matter if she physically pushed her or not. It is in her inaction that lies the crime she may be guilty of. For, by not saving Clare or pulling her from the ledge or convincing her to step down she might as well have killed her. And that’s horrifying, because instead of blood on your hands there is now blood on your tongue as well, or so to speak.