Colorism in the 1920s

Passing offers a unique view on colorism. In America today it is obvious that those with a fairer skin tone have a better chance of success and progress. Passing shows that it was not much different in the 1920s. Of course there was blatant racist in the 20s, such as Jack Bellew. The movie seemed to cut out his rampant use of the N-word for the most part, but unfortunately that type of behavior seems to be the norm back then. The issue of colorism is, of course, still racism, but it almost seems to be brushed off in Passing due to how normalized it is.

In today’s landscape colorism is much more known and acknowledged. However, being acknowledged does not equate to it being resolved. Looking at the popular stars of today one would be hard pressed to find anyone at the top who is not fair skinned in some manner. This is by design, and we can see a glimpse into what it was like 100 year ago with Passing.

I think the role that Colorism takes in Passing is so interesting. Irene is a black woman presenting as a black woman while Clare is a black woman passing as a white woman. Even Jack, a man who has a vast hatred for black people, cannot tell that she is even “one or two percent colored” (Pg. 68). It feels as though both Irene and Clare with that they had taken the path that each other had taken in life regarding passing. 

Throughout the story Clare talks about wishing she could present as her true self. Towards the end of the story, Irene directly asks Clare what she would do had Jack found out that Clare was indeed a black woman. “I’d Do what I want to do more than anything else right now. I’d come up here to live. Harlem, I mean. Then I’d be able to do as I please, when I please,” (pg. 197). This helps to show that Clare is not living her best life despite what society would have one think. 

In regards to Irene, it seems as though she wishes that she had taken the route Clare had an lived a life passing as a white woman. Her jealousy is evident. She sees how Brian looks at her, how Hugh views her before finding out she was passing, and how Jack greets her versus Felise when they run into each other. The most prominent example of this is Irene’s disapproval of Brian’s teaching her sons about the ugly truth regarding the black existence in the 1920s. It is unfortunate to see that both characters have chosen a path in life that they are uncomfortable and unfulfilled with.

This YouTube video about the Blue Vein Society gives another example of early America colorism. It shows how not only were white people perpetuating anti-black racism in America, but lighter skinned black people as well.

6 thoughts on “Colorism in the 1920s

1. Christie Sylvester (she/her/hers)

Great post, I think it’s very insightful of you to research how greatly being in proximity to a certain type of whiteness creates different forms of discrimination among different groups, especially minorities. Especially when the definition of what whiteness is can be subject to change in order to exclude people who are not deemed desirable enough.

2. Effie Reaves (She/Her)

What an enlightening blog because it revealed the self hatred created by slavery. It shows the self discrimination of light skinned blacks who based on the color of their skin thought they were better dark skin blacks. The Blue Vein society was political force. It controlled the school board. It only and high hired on light skin teachers. The school only accepted light skin blue vein students. .It was worst case of self hate is to divide and conquer. The Blue Vein Society used stereotypes to keep dark skin blacks down, My folks use to tell me at tell me when if you called someone colored or a negro it was okay. Please not if called someone black you better be prepared to fight.

3. Babatounde Anselme MONLE (He/Him/His)

I would like to thank you for posting this video to support your blog.  I learned from this that the term “Blue Vein Society” historically refers to a concept associated with colorism and racial discrimination, particularly within Black communities. The phrase originated during the era of slavery in the United States, when lighter-skinned slaves with visible blue veins were sometimes granted privileges and treated differently than their darker-skinned counterparts. This division based on skin color perpetuated notions of superiority and inferiority within the Black community, reinforcing harmful stereotypes and discrimination.

4. Jacqueline Tlaczani (she/her)

I agree that skin tone can have an impact on how someone is perceived, Passing proves that not much has changed and how it important it is to have a discussion on colorism. Thank you for the video! I have never heard of the paper bag test or the Blue Vein Society, it’s appalling to hear that a group excluded their own people just based on their color of their skin!

5. Michael Y Skrypnyk (He/Him)

Skin tone in a country where a hundred years ago that seemingly simple thing decided whether you were a person or property is a matter that will take a long time to melt away from society but will never really disappear from the miserable pool it will dwell in until the end of human civilization. Anyway, in the society represented in Passing being white was a prerequisite for all kinds of benefits and perks and it was a key to many doors. Clare being lucky enough to have that key makes Irene jealous, and rightfully so.