Womens Freedom in Toni Morrison’s “Sula”

Sula by Toni Morrison is a book that tackles many topics that are still relevant today but one of the reasons why this book is my favorite book of all time is because of the way it approaches gender roles and plays with what true freedom looks like for women. The novel takes place from 1919 to1965, a time when women did not have the same rights that they do today and more strict gender roles were enforced, and while the end of this book takes place 57 years ago many of these topics are still relevant today. The main character Sula is hard to pin down and maybe even a little hard to understand at times but I think that is the point. Sula defies traditional gender norms for her time and even things that are still considered proper today. Sula rejects the traditional role of a woman in her town because she refuses to accept the taboo of sex, racism, and even class definitions that are forced on many people in her community. One example of this that we see in the book is the fact that Sula is a sexually liberated woman. Her actions push back on the long-held belief that men are more sexual than women and are judged less harshly for sleeping with whoever they want to sleep with. She is arguably one of the only truly free characters in the whole book, while at times, her actions may seem selfish or detrimental to other people she’s unapologetically living for herself, something that many other women in the bottom cannot say for themselves. The women in her town do not only hate her because she sleeps with their husbands, they hate her because she is a living breathing reminder of the freedom they could have had and the traps they live in. 

“‘You think I don’t know what your life is like just because I ain’t living it? I know what every colored woman in this country is doing.’ ‘What’s that?’ ‘Dying., Just like me. But the difference is they dying like a stump. Me, I’m going down like one of those redwoods. I sure did live in this world.’ (Morrison 143).

Sula lives her life radically free because she is the only woman in the novel who consistently chooses herself. Being selfish all the time is not great, but women sometimes have to be more selfish than men because the cards that life hands us are not always fair.

In this interview Morrison asnwers the question how do we survive whole in a world where we are all victims of something? Her response gives more insight into how we can view Sula’s behavior in the novel. 

Selena Rodas

11 thoughts on “Womens Freedom in Toni Morrison’s “Sula”

1. Mccurphy bailey (She)

In the interview, Morrison addresses the question of how to survive and maintain a sense of wholeness in a world where everyone experiences victimization in some form. The difficulty of life and the feeling of being overwhelmed by its challenges are sentiments that many people can relate to. Sometimes, life can become suffocating, making it hard to look back or imagine a way forward.

What I find particularly interesting is Morrison’s concept of trying new things and finding one’s niche. This idea resonates with me because I often tell my daughter that it’s not necessary to be the best at something, but rather to try different things in order to discover her passions and the spark that drives her. By exploring new avenues, we have the opportunity to find something we love and can respect, as Morrison suggests in the interview.

I can see a connection between Morrison’s insights and Sula’s portrayal of sexuality in the book. For some women, embracing fearlessness and sexual freedom can be challenging due to societal pressures and oppression. Morrison’s comment about the inevitability of death and the need to find something we can respect aligns with Sula’s unapologetic behavior, refusing to conform to the norms of sexual oppression. However, I personally don’t view Sula’s actions as true liberation. In fact, I find them dangerous and far from liberating. It’s important to recognize that societal definitions of freedom have evolved over time. Today, freedom for some women may lie in choosing not to conform to the traditional nuclear family structure, for example. Perspectives on liberation can vary based on cultural and historical contexts.

2. Daniel Harvey

Your blog post offers a persuasive analysis of the novel “Sula” by Toni Morrison, focusing on its investigation of gender roles and women’s freedom. Even though the book is set in a time when women had few rights, the author says that the book is still relevant today. I like your description of the main character, Sula, who defies gender norms and challenges stereotypes about sex, racism, and class. She challenges the idea that men are more sexual and are judged less harshly because of her sexually liberated nature. I appreciated that you have added where Sula’s proud quest for her cravings addresses genuine opportunity while filling in as a sign of the limitations forced on different ladies. In general, the blog post provides an insightful and well-supported interpretation of “Sula,” as well as its investigation of gender roles and women’s agency.

3. Marine Davoian (She/her)

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the book’s exploration of gender roles and women’s freedom. It’s remarkable how many of the themes are still relevant today, despite the book being published nearly 60 years ago. It makes me pause and think just how little has changed over such an extensive period of time. Even when reading The Odyssey by Homer, a work that spans thousands of years, I can’t help but wonder why there has been such minimal progress – if any – in the treatment of women and the persistence of gender roles (with it being particularly prevalent in the global south)

One of the aspects I find most captivating about the writing is the complexity of characters. For me it’s not just Sula, but also Nel and other women in the book. There are no clear-cut distinctions of black or white/right or wrong as Morrison’s writing blurs the simple concept of binary (something i truly appreciate).

Also, thank you for sharing the video. I found every word Toni Morrison said to be captivating, especially the words that “it’s all about the attempt”. It resonated with me deeply as it aligns closely with my personal approach to life. I actually caught myself smiling while listening to her 🙂 So thank you for that again.. and, of course, for sharing your thoughts and views!

4. Mahir Rahman (he/him/his)

I enjoyed reading your perspective on Sula and how it explores gender roles and freedom for women. It’s interesting to see how Sula challenges societal expectations and represents a different way of living. Your analysis of her actions and the impact they have on the women in her community was thought-provoking. Great job on this post.

5. Rosa L Melenciano (she/her/hers)

Sula is one of those complex characters who one can like and dislike at the same time. It was really shocking to see Sula transform into her own version of her mom. However, I will have to agree with you. Although she is really complex, she is also the strongest character in the novel because she is sure of who she is, and feels no regret. I admire Sula’s determination and her courage to live in a town where most people hate her. It is as though she does what she does to prove to the world that women can be free and independent, and they don’t need to be a wife and a mother to be “real” women. Most people in Medallion hated, her but she dies free and lived a life without following societal expectations.

6. Christie Sylvester (she/her/hers)

As much as the betrayal of Nel finding Sula sleeping with her husband might sting, what I’ve found to be refreshing is how much Sula is unabashedly herself. She doesn’t conform in any way whatsoever and it allows her life to end with very little regret or pain, and even a bit of joy, when she thinks about how she can’t wait to to tell Nel what death feels like. She’s an enigma, leaving a trail of fire in her wake and you can’t help but delight in watching her.

7. Babatounde Anselme MONLE (He/Him/His)

Your blog brilliantly captures the essence of Sula’s character and the exploration of gender roles in Toni Morrison’s novel. Sula’s defiance of traditional gender norms and her rejection of societal expectations are indeed central to the narrative. The quote you included powerfully showcases Sula’s determination to live her life on her own terms, unapologetically and authentically.
    Great job!

8. Jacqueline Tlaczani (she/her)

Gender roles is a very interesting topic that I always like to learn about, I agree that sex has always been a taboo, it is prevalent today and I am confused as to why it is such a big deal. It’s double standards, women can’t do what men do or we are looked at as less than.
    The word sexually liberated woman is powerful, in a world where everyone focuses on a number of partners to be focused on your needs and your desires is exemplary.
    Toni Morrison’s response to the question in the video is inspiring, many are afraid to be themselves and do what they want because of fear of being judged. I love that she implies the our goal as individuals should be to blossom into our true selves. Great post!

9. Dylan Flores (He/Him)

I really enjoy the way you use Sula’s expression of her sexuality as a way to enforce that she is a woman who is “free.” Not only does it challenge the cultural perceptions of men being more sexual, as you mentioned, but it also serves to give Sula more agency in her own life. She is her own person, and defies the expectations that society had already given her based solely on her gender.

10. Michael Y Skrypnyk (He/Him)

Your interpretation of Sula is quite interesting, as a character who is breaking free, for better or for worse, from the rules and predispositions of the society she lives in, by striving to be herself, independent. And to be independent she has to be different, to stand out amongst her peers. She chooses to be the one to enforce her own sexuality, not the men around her. Powerful and stuff.